Careers for Queers
A two-part online workshop series designed to support LGBTQIA+ folks, and their closest allies, in discovering, finding, and landing their dream jobs.
Discovering Your Dream Job
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm EST - SOLD OUT!
This is a visioning and vision-writing workshop to help you get really clear on exactly what kind of job you’d love. It will help you focus your energy on getting precisely what you want (or a stepping stone to what you want) instead of sending in a ton of applications out into the ether and hoping for the best. In this workshop, I combine my coaching and yoga teachers skills to give you a really special experience. Expect to tap into your intuition, observe, write, and share.
What you'll get:
- Clarity on what's most important to you in your next job, which will help you focus your energy on getting what you really want instead of applying for anything that sounds doable.
- A draft vision statement for a job you'd love which can serve as a guide star in your job search.
- Community with other people in the same boat
You should attend this workshop if:
- You have no idea what to do with your life, or too many interests to choose from
- You have some idea but would love to clarify what your next move is
- You often apply for jobs that are close to what you want or are interested it but they're never quite the right fit
If you missed this one and want to know about the next visioning workshop I do, sign up for my newsletter by scrolling all the way down to the bottom of this page.
How to Find and Land your dream job
Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 6:30 pm EST
This workshop is going to give you a framework for how the game of getting your dream job is played. We'll walk through how to identify leads, make connections, and network your way into your next step.
You'll also learn about common mindset traps and how to look out for them so you can go for those big career moves even when they feel scary or overwhelming.
What you'll get:
- A step by step guide to finding a job you love, from identifying jobs, networking your way to the right person, cleaning up your resume, and enrolling the employer in hiring you. This will be a handout that you can take notes on and keep!
- Tools you can use to keep your mindset in a productive and positive place so if/when you hit snags, you can keep moving forward and taking action towards your goal.
You should attend this workshop if:
- Going for your goals always feels like one step forward, two steps back
- The word "networking" makes you cringe
- You know what you want to do, or explore doing, but you're not sure where to start
- You've sent out a lot of resumes and cover letters without getting much or any response
Why are these geared towards Queers?
Our queer family puts up with a lot in general but getting jobs we love can present its own special challenges, i.e. hiring and workplace discrimination, lack of family support, feeling like we don't have access to the right networks, etc. I want these workshops to be a safe space for folks to bring up these issues and be in community with folks who get it. Also, while those challenges are so real, sometimes we let our worries about them keep us from fully exploring our options. In the second workshop in particular, we'll take a look at these worries and you'll get a tool for overcoming them.
You do not need to attend the first workshop to get a lot out of the second one.
Cost per workshop: $20
Location: The workshops will be conducted on Zoom, a virtual meeting platform. Plan to be on camera for the duration of the workshop. Join from the office, or in your PJs.
Additional Support: If after the workshops you’d love some more support with your career moves, you’ll be able to join a six-month online coaching group to help you stay out of your own way and score your career goals with clarity, focus, ease, and grace. More on my coaching groups and how they work here. This is totally optional and there is no obligation to join the group if you attend the workshop.
If the cost of this workshop is a barrier for you and attending for half price would knock your socks off, send me an email with the subject line "Let's go dutch." You can use this to attend for $10. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
your fearless leader
Hi! I'm Noelle. I'm a life coach, a yoga teacher, and a healer. Since the age of 14, I've had at least 15 jobs in everything from food service to academia to corporate sales management to farming and grassroots organizing. I've been helping friends with resumes, cover letters, interview prep, and networking for more than a decade. Supporting people to find meaningful work that lights them up is one of my favorite things in the whole world. I love dogs, gardening, singing, and gluten-free pancakes. I live in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts. More on how I became a coach here.
A Note on the content of this workshop:
There is no one-size fits all approach to getting a job. We all have different strengths and face different challenges as queer folks. If you’re a trans lady from a working class background who is early in her transition, the fears that come up for you in your job search, and the support you need to get a job, might be very different from that of a cis gay man from an upper middle class background. I wish they could, but these workshops will not address all the unique challenges that our community faces. But, these workshops will give you some useful skills, confidence, and support find work that is meaningful and sustainable.
I hope to host future online workshops and conversations that support folks with particular backgrounds and experiences, i.e job searching as a QTPOC. If you’d like to request or help organize a certain kind of event, contact me at email@example.com.